Milngavie Golf Club was founded in 1895, at a time when the game of golf was rapidly increasing in popularity. Then, too, the town of Milngavie was expanding as a commuter suburb of Glasgow, thanks in part to a good railway service to the City only seven miles away.
While many suburban golf courses have over the years become surrounded by civilization, or have been forced to relocate elsewhere, the Milngavie course is not only still in its original location but its layout has changed remarkably little over time. A nine hole course was set out in a day by Willie and Laurie Auchterlonie, of that famous St Andrews golfing family. However they recommended that the ground seemed ideal for an eighteen hole course and their suggestion was immediately taken up. Their fee was one guinea (£1.05) plus their rail fare and tea. The course was opened for play only four weeks after the decision to set up the Club was taken.
Formerly on grazing farm land, the course was initially leased for an annual rent of £65, one of the conditions being that there was no play on Sundays. In 1927 the members bought the ground for £4,100 and fairly quickly started Sunday golf. From its original length of about 4,400 yards it now measures 5,818 yards.
The annual subscription was initially set at one guinea with an entry fee, payable after the first 300 members had joined, of one pound ten shillings (£1.50). The target of 300 members was achieved in the first year and a limit of 350 set thereafter.
The first clubhouse was erected in late 1895 at a cost of £298-10-0. It was replaced in 1939 by the present building, to pay for which the annual subscription was increased from £3 to £3-10-0. A telephone was installed in 1902 and the first motorized tractor was acquired in 1930. During the Second World War the clubhouse was slightly damaged by a bomb and compensation was received from the War Ministry.
The Club’s history is well documented in a full set of Minute books which have been kept since the Club’s formation. One thing which has not materially changed in over one hundred years is the magnificent scenery which players enjoy. The vistas change with the seasons and no two days at Milngavie are ever alike.